Canon Employees Are Forbidden to Sit Down, Walk at Normal Pace

You might think your job sucks, but at least your boss wasn't insane enough to remove all the chairs and install security so an alarm goes off if you don't walk fast enough.
The president of Canon Electronics, Hisashi Sakamaki, is also the author of a book proposing some of the same measures he takes with his own company. His theory is that forcing employees to stand not only saves money but increases productivity and enhances employee relationships.
In the hallway, if an employee walks slower than 5 meters every 3.6 seconds, an alarm and flashing lights are set off, reminding the poor startled worker that he's an inefficient waste of air. Even better (or worse), there's a sign on the floor in said hallways that reads, "Let's rush: If we don't, the company and world will perish." The big boss, as a reward for thinking up all this stuff, gets to lounge in a nice, relaxing chair. - Danny Choo
This really isn't too different from what I went through working at a pizza place, where my boss would snap at everyone for not doing something every second they were clocked in. It's pretty annoying.
1 comment:
I worked at McDonald's when I was 15. It kicked ass. The people I worked with were cool and the work was easy. When the owner came in it sucked. But when he left we made anything we wanted. Now that I'm 26 I feel bad for people that have to work there under such restraints. Its really degrading and unnatural for humans to make ends meet that way.
Post a Comment